Saturday 6 April 2013

Day 96: Beetlejuice



When sickeningly adorable couple, Adam (Alec Baldwin) and Barbara (Geena Davis), die they come back as ghosts who are stuck forever in their house. That would be fine but newcomers have arrived and they want to change the place up. It’s up to Adam and Barbara to try and scare them away but when they make friends with the daughter of the new people, it makes matters a little more complicated.

With all the other dead people we see it clearly shows how they died (suicide, cut in half, etc.) but Adam and Barbara just look normal. They drowned, so surely their ghostly forms would be all bloated from the water? I realise having them be bloated throughout the whole film would probably be rubbish but you can’t have everyone else depicted in the way they died and just ignore it completely with them. I think this is my only problem with the film?

Fun fact: in any film if there’s something about the number of times you have to say/do something for a scary character to appear, I will actively stop myself from saying/doing the things. Part of me thinks it’s silly because it’s fiction. The other part of me thinks that there’s no sense in risking it, y’know?

7/10

2 comments:

  1. For me it's an 8 or 9. Probably a high 8.

    Are you referring to Candyman in the last paragraph?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scores I give these films aren't absolute, they depend on the mood I'm in at the time of watching, methinks.

    Yeah, Candyman and isn't there something about 'Bloody Mary' too? Freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete