Sunday 21 April 2013

Day 111: Due Date



Violent bastard Peter (Robert Downey Jr) is trying to get back to L.A. in time for the birth of his child but things go massively wrong when he meets Ethan (Zach Galifianakis). The two go on an adventure-filled road trip and learn some things about themselves. Obviously.

I’m not really sure people like Ethan actually exist in real life. They're probably the kind of people who end up in a cult. Or murdered because they wanted to check out the puppies some guy in a trenchcoat had in his van. Maybe he’s not that bad though, I think I’d have been able to suffer him much better than Peter did. Peter did end up making everything worse and was just a bastard for the majority of the film. And I understand that he was pissed off at maybe having to miss the birth of his child, but he was just rude to everybody he came across. He punched a kid in the stomach and spat on a dog. I mean, come on. But after getting stoned he lightens up and becomes a nicer guy. He obviously never thought he’d end up liking someone like Ethan but he goes with it.

Peter gets his friend to pick them up after the car wreck and they go back to his house. His friend, Daryl (Jamie Foxx), used to be with his wife years before but Daryl has a recent picture of the two together and he still talks to her a lot. Is it weird when people who used to be a couple spend time together? I never really understand the ‘We can still be friends’ aspect of a break-up, it just seems like it’d be really difficult to do well. But then just never really talking to someone again that you used to be so close with is also strange. Like, one day you’re together and they’re your person, then the next you just never talk. That is odd. My Mum says that being with a particular person is just a habit and when you break up, you’re not missing the person so much as you’re missing the habit and that if you just give it time then you’ll realise the person wasn’t all that important. I’m not really a fan of that opinion, however. But then it seems to follow along the lines of loving someone because of what they do for you and not because of who they are. Surely if you loved them for who they are then it would actually be them you missed, not just the little habits that you shared with them? Although I know it can be hard to really pull apart the love for the person and the love for what they do for you. I’ve gone off on a tangent, I think. Anyway!

The film wasn’t anything spectacular. I liked that Robert Downey Jr’s wife (Michelle Monaghan) was his love interest in ‘Kiss Kiss Bang Bang’. Now that’s a good film. This one, however, was kind of boring in places. I did laugh sometimes but I wouldn’t watch it again.

6/10

2 comments:

  1. I think it's partly habit, for sure. I also think a lot of people get in a relationship because they want the relationship more than they want the person, which is fine, not saying you don't like the person too, but there's probably other people you'd like just as much, or maybe more, if it's more the habits that you're looking for. I guess it depends on the person. Ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeZMIgheZro



    I like the tangents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, definitely agree with you. Which is why the idea of 'The One' never really sits well with me. What are the chances your 'One' just so happens to be the person you live near/work with/know through a friend? Tim Minchin is always relevant, I like the video.

    Glad you like the tangents, got to have at least one person who does.

    ReplyDelete