Tuesday 28 May 2013

Day 148: The Great Gatsby


Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) recounts the short time he spent with Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio) and how it affected his life.

I won’t go into specifics since the film itself is only recently out, so I’ll just make some general comments. The first half was both weird and boring at the same time, although I’m not sure how it managed that. I don’t know who keeps giving work to Tobey Maguire but they need to have their heads looked at. He is just so awful, it’s like he’s fresh out of acting school and thinks every line has to be said in this ridiculously dramatic way while his eyes look all serious and thoughtful. To be fair though, all the rest of the actors were good. All of Leonardo DiCaprio’s scenes were great, he never fails to impress me. Some of the shots were beautiful but I feel like the film relied too heavily on the beauty involved and didn’t spend enough time developing the story in a believable way.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment