Wednesday 1 May 2013

Day 121: Dawn of the Dead



Zombies! People are infected by something that kills them and then… (wait for it)… brings them back. And they are angry, and bitey, and really fast. A group of strangers take refuge in a mall and try to wait out the madness that is outside.

I don’t really want to call the angry-dead people ‘zombies’ because I’m not convinced that is what they are. To me, zombies should be slow. I’m not against fast infected things but I don’t really like to call them zombies. But for ease, I’ll just stick with it. And I’m confused about the infection itself. When Ana (Sarah Polley) is checking on the bitten woman she says that she feels cold. Usually in these films the person burns up after they’ve been bitten because their body is trying to fight off the infection but obviously the infection is too strong and they die anyway. So how was she cold? Was it meant to be that this infection was just so fast that the body didn’t even have a chance to fight it? I’d like to know what the significance of that was.

When CJ (Michael Kelly) didn’t want to let the people in the truck into the mall, I thought he had the right idea. That’s how I’d handle it if I was in that situation. You can’t just be letting people in when you don’t know if they’re infected or what they’re like. A lot of people in these kinds of scenarios act in just the most awful ways and it’s not safe to include them when you really don’t know them. I guess what I’m saying is, don’t come knocking if there’s a zombie apocalypse because I won’t help you. It is what it is.

I’ve not seen the original film so I can’t compare them. I did like this; the acting was good, the zombie deaths were excellent, and there were explosions. Always a fan of explosions.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment