Sunday 20 January 2013

Day 20: Things We Lost In The Fire



Brian (David Duchovny) is killed trying to help a woman who is being attacked by her husband. He leaves behind his wife, Audrey (Halle Berry) and their two children. And his best friend, Jerry (Benicio Del Toro). We watch a family devastated and we watch a family absorb it.

I knew absolutely nothing about this film when I bought it, which is unusual for me. Usually I’ll read into something beforehand but I bought this film because the title sounded like poetry. I’m not sure why I then didn’t look into what it was about but maybe I just didn’t want to be disappointed. And after watching the film I can say that I am not disappointed at all. It felt raw and uncomfortable and that’s exactly what I wanted it to be.

Jerry is a heroin addict and Brian is the only one from his old life who never gave up on him. Audrey doesn’t want anything to do with him and she wants Brian not to see him either. But once Brian dies, she reaches out to him. If Brian can see the good in Jerry then she’s going to try too. Their relationship is awkward as she tries to keep him close but push him away simultaneously. It’s almost as if she feels guilty for enjoying being around him and letting him be around her children (who take to him instantly). Jerry is, at every instance, understanding and patient. He finally helps Audrey sleep again, and he helps the children cope without a father. For Jerry, he loses his only friend but he gains a family.

Much like the film yesterday, the grief isn’t shown through dramatic displays but it’s more subtle. It’s a part of their lives and they cope and help each other in different ways. Despite being quite a sad film, I saw the happy. I definitely did.


8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment