Wednesday 16 January 2013

Day 16: Mrs Henderson Presents



I decided that since my blogs were become more and more mopey I should perhaps watch something light, to brighten my mood. Which led me to this film but obviously I didn’t read what it was about and it turned out to not be as light as I had imagined. Mrs Henderson (Dame Judi Dench) loses her husband and decides that in order to avoid boredom she will buy a theatre. She does exactly that and with Vivian Van Damm’s (Bob Hoskins) help her theatre becomes a hit. In order to draw in the crowds she proposes that the women are naked through the shows. This obviously works and her shows are a constant sell-out. This happens with the Blitz occurring which adds quite a sombre note to it all.

As I said, I was looking for a light film that wouldn’t require much thought. The film opened on a funeral, however, so I clearly made a mistake. The funeral was closely followed by Judi Dench sobbing on a boat in the middle of a river. She is quite the actress, the minute her voice cracks at different points in the film I just burst into tears. And I don’t use the word often enough but she was perfectly feisty almost the entire way through.

I don’t have too much to say about the film itself. It did manage to stay quite light-hearted despite what was happening around them and that was great. I would say though, I was not quite ready to see Bob Hoskins’ penis. It just completely took me by surprise and I feel I should warn you, if you choose to watch it.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment