Thursday 17 January 2013

Day 17: Annie Hall



Today I needed to break out one of my favourite films. I don’t really like to admit to my love of Woody Allen films because well, he married his daughter, y’know? It’s difficult to separate that knowledge from the films themselves but I loved this one before I knew about any of that so it’s ok. Totally justified.

Terminal complainer, Alvy (Woody Allen), falls in love with the adorable Annie Hall (Diane Keaton). We’re given glimpses into the time they spend together and you get a general feel to their relationship. They seem an unlikely couple but they work well together all the same. I like that they almost instantly bond; they’re playing tennis then he goes back to her apartment and they’re getting to know each other then he goes to watch her sing and that’s it, the relationship is set. When they have left the club after she sings, I love that he stops her and just says “Hey listen, listen, give me a kiss.” so they can avoid the inevitable awkwardness later in the night. They just kiss and get it over with so they can continue enjoying being around each other without that looming over them.


Diane Keaton is wonderful here. The way she goes “Hi… Hi… Hi… Well… Bye.” is just great. Spot on awkwardness, I love it. She’s so awkward and nervous you can’t help but instantly be drawn to her. I always find myself giggling when she’s on the screen because I just pick up her energy. I’m always drawn to people who seem to just be overflowing with energy and Diane Keaton is no exception. I can tell I'd already be half in love with her if I was Woody Allen here.

Alvy tries to get Annie to read books that give an insight into who he is and while she complains that he thinks she's not smart enough for him, I think that doesn't really factor into what's doing there. When you enter into a relationship with another person (friend or otherwise), you're getting a crash course in who this person actually is and what's important to them. It makes sense to give this new person in your life films and books and music that reflects who you are so they can more easily understand you. If someone was to take a crash course in who I am, I think I'd recommend a variety of things that would help; Frightened Rabbit songs, 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman, 'Deathless' by Catherynne M. Valente, etc. There'd be a whole host of things, really. I'd love it if, when I met a new person, they just sat me down and said "This is what you need to read/watch/listen to in order to even grasp a little of who I am." There's only so much talking you can do, sometimes you need to immerse yourself in the things they enjoy.

These are the kind of romantic comedy type films I like; where the couple doesn’t end up together but they learn something along the way.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment