Wednesday 2 January 2013

Day 1: Clueless


I have seen this film many times but it still makes me laugh every time. It manages to be funny but without becoming a joke in itself or making the characters into jokes. You get the impression that while they are young and a tad on the shallow side, they are still going through important things and developing their personalities accordingly.

It is a '90s film so obviously it has to feature a makeover. While usually the makeovers always seem to be undertaken by the nasty ones, Cher and Dionne are actually nice people and don't use their popularity to bully others. Unfortunately Tai gets a little power crazy and becomes a bit of a bitch but it's temporary and she realises the error of her ways almost instantly. Also I've lost count of how many times I've seen this film but apparently this is the first time I've noticed they used coke cans as curlers. Fantastic!

I think what really makes this film better than so many other films of a similar type is that the main character is likeable even though she seems a bit clueless (ha). She clearly cares for other people and wants to see them happy despite how bad she's feeling herself. Her Dad is a big gruff lawyer type but they still have a close relationship; he takes an active interest in all aspects of her life despite being massively busy and she tries to make sure he eats right and tries to help him with an important case he's working on. She tries to help Tai feel welcome at school, albeit by dramatically overhauling her personality and appearance. Her intentions are good, which I think is important and I always like to see it.

Also, perhaps the best indication of its ability to last is the fact it is so quotable.


(I still say "way harsh" which is a direct result of watching this film)


I've fallen into a Clueless tumblr search spiral... ANYWAY. I love this film and think everyone should see it at least once in their lives.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment