Thursday 10 January 2013

Day 10: The Producers



Leo (Gene Wilder), a hysterical accountant, visits a down on his luck producer, Max (Zero Mostel). They decided to swindle money out of old ladies in order to fund their Broadway flop ‘Springtime for Hitler’. However, people end up loving it so their only choice was to… blow up the theatre? Why not, why not.

I’m not sure I liked it, to be quite honest with you. Gene Wilder was fantastic, as always. I love him hysterical because it means he shouts and that’s always the best Gene Wilder. But the film itself I’m not too sure on. The opening song for the play was great and I laughed the whole way through but I’d say that was the high point of the whole thing. It just wasn’t as great as I was expecting and that always disappoints me. It was ok in places but I’d be hard pressed to remember when they were.

Also, terrible hair, Mr Mostel. I think you beat out Donald Trump for worst hair. Achievement of the century. Truly terrible, I salute you.

6/10

2 comments:

  1. I've actually got a Gene Wilder movie arriving tomorrow (which also stars Richard Pryor. I think they were in four together?) - 'See No Evil, Hear No Evil' from 1989. The premise is Gene's deaf and Richard's blind, and they find themselves accidentally stuck together trying to stop some killers doing... something. The plot isn't really important, to be honest, and it's not the best film in the world but it's a lot of fun. It also features Kevin Spacey in an early film role, using a (self-confessed) bizarre English accent and a rather odd and unexplained lump on his face. I've read it was a cyst that was eventually drained, nice.

    Where else but this film could Gene Wilder's character pretend the erection in his pants is a gun, as he tells the naked killer to put her hands up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen that film, actually. But all I remember of it was that one was deaf and the other was blind. Good film, I think.

    ReplyDelete