Thursday 21 February 2013

Day 52: Fight Club



The Narrator (Edward Norton) is a good worker bee who has bought into the notion that what he owns is the most important part of who he is, it even makes him who he is. But when all that comes crashing down around him he makes a friend in Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt). He is anti-narrator in every way and thrives in chaos. They start a club where men can come together and beat each other up and in this way all the men are released from the monotony and hopelessness of their lives. The actions of the club eventually extend well beyond the occasional fight and the Narrator tries to put a stop to it all.

There isn’t really a good way to talk about this film without totally giving away what’s happening and while I know the film is over 10 years old, I don't want to ruin this one for anybody. I do like that Tyler was trying to get the men to see what is actually important in life and not to focus on all the crap we’re taught to want from a young age. Apparently what everyone wants is total chaos and no responsibility. Yeah, I can get behind that. He asks them if they were going to die today, what would they wish they had done. I honestly can’t think of what I really want to do. But I feel like I should have some idea at least. I’ll need to find that.

“The condom is the glass slipper of our generation. You slip one on when you meet a stranger. You dance all night. Then you throw it away.”

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment