Friday 8 February 2013

Day 39: Terminator 2



This is my Dad’s pick for favourite film. It’s not actually his favourite though, that would be Titanic. But he didn’t want to be known for that so he picked an action one instead. Oops, secret’s out.

Sent back from the future to protect whiny bastard John Connor, the Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger – I didn’t even look that up, I just knew how to spell it. I’m good.) kills a lot of people and causes a lot of explosions.

John asks the Terminator if he’s scared of dying. I’ve always wondered about why people are scared of dying. What is there to be scared of? It’s always interested me. How will I die? What would it feel like? What would be my very last thought? That’s a puzzling one. I hope I think of something profound or comforting, at least. But I guess you can’t know until it happens. Are people who kill themselves less scared than those who die naturally, I wonder? Or maybe they’re just as scared but what’s haunting them is much worse than anything they think might happen when they die.

Time travel is interesting to me, too. In films there always ends up being paradoxes. In this, for example, they destroy all the work and the chips and both Terminators and yet, both of them still exist to be sent back. I’ve not seen any of the Terminator films after this one so I don’t know if they explain it there so maybe they do. I’ve always said I’d go forwards if I could travel in time but obviously that’s a lie. I would do what everybody else would and I’d go back to that time of the one major regret and I’d change it. But then if you change something so pivotal in your life, it completely changes who you are, I think. I’d not be me. Which, I think we’ll all agree, would be nice. Hopefully time travel happens during my lifetime.

Don’t really have too much to say about the film itself. Lots of explosions and cheesy dialogue. Linda Hamilton is a bit of a badass. It’s an alright film but I wouldn’t go out of my way to watch it.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment