Wednesday 13 February 2013

Day 44: The Color Purple



The only happiness Celie (Whoopi Goldberg) had in her life was her sister, Nettie (Akosua Busia). The man she knew as her father raped her repeatedly and when she gave birth to two children, he took them away. She’s then married off to Albert (Danny Glover) as second prize when he can’t marry Nettie and he beats her constantly, and makes her look after his rotten children. He keeps Nettie away from her and she ends up feeling like she has nothing in her whole life. Until Shug Avery (Margaret Avery) comes along and helps her see she is worth something after all.

It’s always difficult to separate the book from the film, especially when you’ve read the book quite recently. But I was comparing it constantly, even though I tried not to. Shug is just not what I was expecting. I can’t even remember exactly how she was described in the book but I’m sure she was meant to be a total knockout. Celie looked so happy when Shug is singing about her, I just couldn’t bear it. It’s probably the nicest thing anyone has ever done for her and it’s just a lovely moment. And she is always so shy, trying to hide her smile, but she has the best time with Shug. I loved that the camera panned over to the windchimes when they went to have sex. Nice touch.

Eventually Shug gives her the confidence she needs to stand up to Albert and move away. She has a house, her own shop, and she is sure of herself. I’m so glad the film didn’t stay true to the book here because in the book Shug leaves her to go off with a man for a while. I mean, she comes back but it still breaks Celie’s heart when she does it. Thankfully it didn’t happen in the film so my wee heart didn’t fall to pieces like it did when I read it.

The film is great but I think I just preferred the pacing of the book.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment