Saturday 2 February 2013

Day 33: Benny and Joon



I forgot to say yesterday but for the whole of February I am watching the favourite films of 28 people that I asked/begged. I’m not watching them in any particular order (except for one birthday special) so it’s just a whatever-mood-I’m-in kind of thing.

So, we’re off to a bad start. I hate The Proclaimers and their stupid 500 miles. I hate it so much. But I didn’t let it affect my viewing (despite a loud “UGH” as soon as it started). Sadly it also ended on the song (my notes: “Fuck me it ends on it too”) but whatever, that was the only bad point of the entire film so I can look past it.

Benny (Aidan Quinn) has spent years forsaking his own life in order to look after his sister, Joon (Mary Stuart Masterston), who is mentally ill. She’s creative, likes her routine and doesn’t like stressful situations. Unfortunately she also doesn’t get along too well with the housekeepers and Benny finds himself in a difficult situation; should he try to find another housekeeper or should he put Joon in a group home? Luckily the decision isn’t up to him. They soon find their lives completely changed by the arrival of loveable eccentric Sam (Johnny Depp).

I’m usually not a fan of Johnny Depp but I loved this character right off the bat. As soon as I saw him in the tree I was immediately smitten. My favourite part about his character is that he sees past the mentally ill label and treats Joon like a person, quite unlike her brother. He sadly seems to be fixated on the fact she’s ‘sick’ rather than anything else. And, of course, Sam scales a building for her. I mean, how could I not love him? Their relationship is sweet and lovely and exactly what she seems to need. Too often those with mental health issues are reduced to a label and people forget that they want just as much as anybody else.

Really loved the film despite having not too much to say about it.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment