Tuesday 5 February 2013

Day 36: I Am Legend



After the supposed cure for cancer goes rogue and ends up killing over 5 billion people and makes almost all of the rest into mutant ‘darkseekers’, Dr Robert Neville (Will Smith) spends his days trying to reverse it.

The main thing with this film for me is the relationship he has with his dog, Sam. Given to him by his daughter minutes before she dies, he takes care of her and she becomes his only friend in the world. You can see how much he loves her when she runs into the darkened building and he’s absolutely terrified but he knows he can’t just leave her. So he follows her inside despite it going against his survival instincts. There is nothing worse than when she dies after protecting him later in the film.  He would have definitely died had Sam not taken on those dogs herself. When he has to put her down it is the absolute worst thing. He loses his only friend. Crying again just writing it so I’m going to move on.

After he loses Sam and he goes into the music shop to talk to the mannequin you can see how much it has affected him. He looks so lost and just wants the mannequin to answer him. “Please say hello to me.” Will Smith is a wonderful actor, I always forget that. He makes the scene heartbreaking when it could’ve so easily been strange.

I always think I’d quite like to be the only person in the world. You wouldn’t have to do anything or go anywhere or talk to people you don’t want to talk to. You can just do what you want when you want. Of course, I wouldn’t want there to be any of those darkseeker things around because I’m scared of the dark enough as it is, I don’t need them to be there too. It just seems like it would be so peaceful.

“Light up the darkness.”

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment