Sunday 3 February 2013

Day 34: A Knight's Tale



Born a peasant, William (Heath Ledger), takes a chance at changing his future and sets out to become a knight. While achieving his dream he meets Jocelyn (Shannyn Sossamon) and the two quickly fall in love. He competes in various jousting tournaments and becomes the man he wanted to be.

I love how hopeful this film is. His father sends him off to work for a knight in the hopes he can have a better life, he hopes that Jocelyn will return his love for him, he hopes to be a great knight. So much fulfilled hoping. How sickeningly unrealistic! Just kidding. He wants to change his future for himself and you end up believing him when he says, “A man can change his stars.”

But where there is happiness, there is a petty little man. Count Adhemar decides for himself that he shall be married to Jocelyn and so clearly hates William because she loves him. Jocelyn is definitely not interested in Adhemar and makes it obvious at every step but that doesn’t seem to put him off in any way. I understand he doesn’t see her as a person in her own right and is more concerned with showing off his power and ability to take what he wants but come on, man. Why do people consistently go after those who show no interest? I think you should only go for someone who clearly wants you as much as you want them. If you don’t, you’re selling yourself short and you should never do that. Always go for the one who sees the brightness in you. Don’t settle for any less.

It was so easy to show how good you were back then. Being a brave knight raised you in the minds of others and you were given the time of day by people who might otherwise ignore you completely. I wonder if there are as many instances in life now where we can show ourselves to be brave. And even then, what is brave to one person might not be for another. Is bravery saving orphans from burning buildings? Is it the person who pushes someone out the way of an oncoming car? Or is it “… the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow’” (Mary Anne Radmacher)?

Oh, and to keep up the pattern of talking about looks, I love how she smiles when she thinks of him. Smiling like that is probably a sure sign of love.

It seems I can only blog when I repeatedly listen to Frightened Rabbit’s ‘The Woodpile’. Nothing else works. Some insider knowledge for you there.

8/10

2 comments:

  1. Commenting on my own blog because what of it.

    It's just to say (because I couldn't work out how to say it up there) that I think Heath Ledger is such a beautiful man. Despite being blonde.

    Carry on about your business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)

    I agree with the prettiness. I also like this film quite a bit. You watching it makes me kind of believe that I have recently seen it, too, whoo.

    ReplyDelete