Thursday 7 February 2013

Day 38: Gladiator



There’s a new Emperor in town and he’s a bit of a useless bastard. Unloved by his father and his sister, Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix), seeks this absent love from the people of Rome. But Maximus (Russell Crowe), his father’s favourite and choice for successor, puts a dent in this plan as he has returned to seek vengeance for the brutal murder of his wife and child ordered by Commodus. I’m sure we all know how this goes.

Everyone Maximus loves is murdered. The Emperor who believed in him, his wife and son who waited for him, Cicero who tried to help him, and those who fought to help him escape. It just seems that by being close to people it leaves you open to so much tragedy. Anything could happen to the people that you care about and that is terrifying. I think I’ll stick with not letting anyone get close. Better to keep everyone at a distance.

“I have felt alone all my life… except with you.”

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment