Thursday 7 March 2013

Three Books and a Baby*

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

I’m not sure why I didn’t like this one as much as his other books. It must have had something to do with Brett’s character, I just don’t believe all these men would be in love with her. I can’t remember how she was described physically but her personality was just annoying. I’m honestly not sure why any of them even liked her, let alone fought over her. At least she wasn’t a submissive non-thing like the women he usually writes, there is always that.

6/10

~

Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett

I can’t say enough good things about the Discworld novels, I just enjoy them so much. When I read the earlier ones I thought the wizards were great and obviously The Luggage is still my favourite character and I was worried I wasn’t going to like all the stories about The Watch, but I think they might actually be my favourite ones. You’ve still got your magical characters here too. I do like the storyline about Angua (part-time werewolf) and Carrot (human/dwarf), I hope she realises that she shouldn't just leave him because she thinks he can’t handle her being a werewolf. Hopefully they show up in other ones so I can find out.

8/10

~

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez

Really enjoyed this book. For some reason when I think about it, I seem to just picture colours. It was beautifully written and at no point felt like too much. I wasn’t a fan of Florentino Ariza, his ridiculous obsession with Fermina Daza that lasted over half a century was annoying and a bit creepy. After she returned from being away for a while and she saw him, what she said to him was so harsh but wonderfully honest. I’m not entirely sure how he could’ve kept pining for her after that, I’d have been heartbroken.

"Today, when I saw you, I realised that what is between us is nothing more than an illusion."

8/10

* Baby not included.

No comments:

Post a Comment