Tuesday 19 March 2013

Day 78: Sixteen Candles



In typical teenage fashion, Sam (Molly Ringwald) fancies one of the most popular guys in school and she thinks he doesn’t know she exists. But Jake (Michael Schoeffling) definitely does know she exists and he spends the whole film trying to talk to her.

During class, Sam is filling in a ‘sex test’ she got from a friend that asks her various questions, one of them being ‘Have you ever done it?’ and she answers with ‘I don’t think so’. Right, what? How can that not be something you are sure of? She probably just didn’t want to put ‘no’ but still, I have heard people say they didn’t know if they’d had sex or not before. I don't mean in a 'I was so drunk, I don't know if we did' way, they were aware of what was happening. Odd. Another question asks who she’d want to have sex with if she could and she puts down Jake’s name, and goes to hand the note over to her friend. But obviously the note ends up with Jake. I immediately thought this was going to result in her being laughed at by all the popular people but it turns out he actually likes her too, so that was completely unexpected. He’s talking to his friend about maybe wanting to be with her and his friend goes “She’s too young to party serious.” Man, I love how people talked in the ‘80s. Think I was born in the wrong time, I can see me talking like that.

Ted (Anthony Michael Hall) originally likes Sam but she keeps knocking him back. She tells him she likes Jake and that she doesn’t know what to do, so Ted tells her to just go for it. Despite him repeatedly being a total creep, I really liked that he did that. He ends up with Jake’s girlfriend, Caroline (Haviland Morris) anyway, in some strange turn of events. Caroline and Jake aren’t getting along at the dance because he can’t stop thinking about Sam so she says to him “Just remember one thing. I can name 20 guys who would kill to love me.” That’s quite impressive. Must be so hectic knowing that all these people like you, how does she get anything done, I don’t know.

I was really expecting to love this film but it was kind of disappointing. Definitely wasn’t as good as some other John Hughes films but it was alright.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment