Monday 11 March 2013

Day 70: The First Wives Club



Three women are reunited after their friend from college commits suicide (Stockard Channing, how much would I have loved for you to be in the rest of the film? Such a loss). All three have been ditched for younger women and they decide that rather than feel bad about themselves, they’ll do good for the women in the community and open a Crisis Centre. Of course, in order to do that they need money. And who better to get money from than their ex husbands?

This film balances the tears and the laughter so well. Every single time I watch them go down the outside of the building in the window washer lift I just crack up laughing. When Bette Midler does her sad eyes I just start blubbing, I can’t stop myself. The three women are excellent together, I love the ending where they dance down the street singing You Don’t Own Me.

Seriously though, is anything better than this film? Bette Midler, Diane Keaton and Goldie Hawn? Lesbian daughter (“I’m a lesbian. A big one.”)? Women coming together and realising they are strong and can do things for themselves? Ah, I love it so much. I think I’ve watched this film at least twice a year since I saw it as a youngster, I just think it’s great.

“You think just because I’m a movie star I don’t have feelings, well you’re wrong. I do have feelings. I’m an actress, I have all of them!”

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment