Friday 29 March 2013

Day 88: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel


Seven pensioners head to Jaipur, India in the hopes of spending their retirement in a beautiful hotel. When they get there, however, it’s less spectacular than the ad led them to believe but even though it’s not what they expected, it turns out that it was exactly what they needed.

It’s important when you have quite a large cast that you’re given the chance to learn and care about each one, with the focus not just being put on a few of them. Their stories were all interesting and it was good to see how they came to enjoy their time in Jaipur. Well, not all of them did; Jean (Penelope Wilton) couldn’t get into the swing of things but everyone else managed. Even racist Muriel (Maggie Smith).

It must be so difficult to be with someone for 40 years and realise that you are not right for each other. You might’ve been at one point but now you’re in different places and the relationship just doesn’t work anymore. It was quite brave of them to decide to go their separate ways, I thought. It’s so easy to get stuck even when you know it’s not the right thing. Through the whole film you get the sense that you should go for the things that you want and not just let them pass you by. I definitely agree but I think it takes a strong person to really go for it.

For some reason it took me a little while to get into this film but once I did, it was really great. Celia Imrie is perhaps one of my favourite actresses, she always has me laughing. In fact, the lot of them were great in their own ways. It seemed quite realistic, like it wasn’t even really a film but more like how they would have actually been. I think I’d quite like to visit India, despite my fear of large crowds. It definitely doesn’t seem like it’d be boring, anyway.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment