Saturday 16 March 2013

Day 75: Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs



An inventor who causes chaos in his town pretty much constantly thinks he has stumbled upon the creation that will save the people of his town from a life of only eating sardines; he’s going to turn water into food. And he manages it but the machine goes a bit haywire and ends up in the clouds where it takes in massive amounts of water and therefore produces massive amounts of food. It rains food, basically. That is the gist.

Flint is a great character. I love that he keeps on making new things even if they don’t always turn out how he expected. He’s left alone by the people in the town because they think he’s a nerd (which is apparently a bad thing? I never understood the nerd hate) and because his inventions usually spell trouble. So he’s left pretty much to himself which gives him all the time in the world to be awesome. Then along comes a lady who understands his inventions and is just as excited about them as he is and he’s instantly smitten (you can tell because his eyes go all huge and sparkly, that is the universal sign, I’m sure I don’t need to point that out to you). Her favourite food is Jell-O so he makes her a giant Jell-O mountain and carves out the inside so it’s got a piano and a huge chute and it is just excellent, I’d have proposed immediately if I was her. Is there any way to talk about someone you like without sounding like a teenager? “I ‘like you’ like you”? There is no adult way to say it, is there? I guess you can just say ‘I like you’ but then if you’re friends already, it’s like, of course you like me, we’re chums, no? We need a new way to say it. “I like you as more than a friend” is not a good way to say it, it sounds so weird to me. Suggestions!

The amount of parental love in this film is just great. You hear snippets of conversations between parents and their kids and they’re telling them they love them. And the town cop is always telling his son he loves him, and then he saves him from the foodalanche like a champ. Then there’s obviously the heartfelt moment between the proud father who didn’t always believe in his son and the son who thought his father never supported him. Ugh, it’s so sweet.

Right, so, I know it’s a stupid film but I actually loved it. The only cop in town has chest hair that moves when there’s a problem, I mean, come on! There was science, and jokes, and romance, and food, I don’t really know what else you could want, friends.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment