Friday 21 June 2013

Day 172: When the Lights Went Out


A family move house but quickly find they’re not alone. Instead of getting the hell out of there, they decide to stick around and endanger themselves.

They all felt the ghost and saw it throwing things and yet they didn’t leave. I know they didn’t have that much money but come on, there’s a bloody ghost, you have to get out of there. It turns out there are actually two ghosts in the house; there’s a young girl who was killed and there’s the rapey monk who killed her and was later hung for his crimes. The young girl was trying to scare the family out of the house because she knew the monk was after Sally ( Tasha Connor) but obviously, they thought they could wait it out or something and so they stayed. They blackmail a priest to perform an exorcism and they think they’re finally free of it. But no, the ghost-monk tries to hang Sally and he’s about to consume her in his black smoke ghostliness (I guess? Who knows what the hell was going on, really) but the little ghost girl emits a bright light and he evaporates. She couldn’t have done that at the start? I really don’t understand.

I don't believe in an afterlife. When we die, we die. Nothing fancy happens, we're just gone. And yet. I believe in ghosts. I was hugged by a ghost once, it's pretty hard not to believe in them when you've had that happen. I'm not sure you could pay me enough to stay in a haunted house. I don't mind dying but I don't want to be terrified beforehand. Just let me die in peace, that's all I ask.

The special effects were pants. There’s no excuse for that, it was made in 2012, guys. The acting was alright though, I’ll give it that. I wouldn’t say the film was scary. It made me jump, sure, but it wasn’t properly scary. Also, the title is just awful.


4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment